Marian Regional Medical Center was awarded STEMI Center Designation from Santa Barbara County’s Emergency Medical Services Agency due to the hospital’s cardiac care expertise and continued ranking within the 10% nationally in all cardiac care measures of quality.
This prestigious designation means that Marian Regional Medical Center is specially equipped and trained to treat ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) type of heart attack, which is caused by sudden, total blockage of a coronary artery.
This designation reflects Marian’s supreme level of cardiac care and will bring STEMI patients to Marian, instead of other facilities without catheterization laboratories. Through the Marian Emergency Department’s development of a collaborative process known as Code AMI, Marian has furthered the Emergency Department’s ability to rapidly transport heart attack patients to the hospital’s catheterization laboratory for definitive muscle-saving treatment. The Marian Emergency Department’s Code AMI process immediately alerts and brings all necessary medical professionals to the needs of heart attack patients.
Requirements for STEMI Designation:
- Marian exceeds the national standard for the 90 minute door-to-balloon time,
- Licensure as a cardiac catheterization laboratory
- Availability of a communication system for notification of appropriate personnel of an incoming STEMI patient
- A dedicated team of cardiologists
- Catheterization lab staff
- Emergency department physicians
- Skilled clinical staff who within moments of STEMI notification are readily available to the incoming patient
Marian launched its comprehensive cardiac program in the spring of 1993 and for nearly 70 years has remained a trusted resource for the community. The Marian Heart Center’s team of cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons, interventional cardiologists, cardiologists, skilled nurses and a group of other speciallytrained healthcare professionals, specializes in the prevention and diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of heart disease.
View news coverage of Marian's STEMI designation:
Marian's Award-Winning Heart Center
- Marian has been recognized by Dignity Health with a “Best Practice” Award for the Heart Center’s quick response in cardiac emergencies and treatment of patients with Congestive Heart Failure which exceeds national standards.
- Marian’s Heart Program earned exceptional scores for treatment in cardiac patients which earned the hospital a Quality Report Card from JCAHO with “plus marks” in cardiac care.
- The Hospital Quality Alliance (HQA) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) ranked Marian Medical Center in the top 10 percent nationally for all cardiac care measures of quality.
- In 2009, Marian’s Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center, located in the Marian Health and Wellness Center, received program certification from the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation’s national board for excellence in care. Marian is one of only a select number of programs in all of California earning this recognition.