The prostate is a walnut-sized gland that forms part of the male reproductive system and helps produce semen. It surrounds the urethra, the canal which carries urine from the bladder out of the body. With age and time, the prostate naturally enlarges, causing pressure on the urethra and interfering with the normal flow of urine. Doctors refer to the condition as enlarged prostate or benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
BPH is a common, natural, non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate that causes urinary complications. Men who suffer from BPH often experience a reduction in quality of life, reporting changes in lifestyle such as avoiding travel, interruption of leisure activities, using bathroom stalls instead of urinals and disruption in sleep patterns.
Typical signs and symptoms of BPH include:
• Frequent urination, especially at night
• An urgent need to urinate
• Difficulty starting urination
• Dribbling or leaking after urination
• Feeling that the bladder never completely empties
• Weak urine stream
GreenLight Laser Therapy is a minimally invasive outpatient surgical treatment option for BPH that combines the effectiveness of TURP, the traditional surgical procedure, with fewer side effects. GreenLight uses laser energy, delivered through a thin, flexible fiber, which is inserted into the urethra through an instrument called a cystoscope. to remove enlarged prostate tissue. This results in an open channel for urine to flow through, but with fewer risks of sexual and other side-effects common with TURP. GreenLight is safe and effective for treating BPH.
Facts About GreenLight Laser Therapy:
• Nearly 500,000 patients treated worldwide
• Used by more urologists worldwide than any other laser for the treatment of BPH
• Proven equally effective as TURP, with fewer complications
• Proven safe and effective for patients on anticoagulation therapy
• Proven safe and effective for treatment of large prostates
• Outpatient procedure
• Also cleared for the treatment of bladder tumors and urethral strictures
GreenLight is a quick, outpatient procedure that delivers immediate and dramatic symptom relief without the side effects or expense of medication or the risks associated with invasive surgery. Most patients return home a few short hours after the procedure and can return to normal, non-strenuous activities within days. Of the BPH treatment options available, GreenLight has the widest patient selection and is an option for most patients suffering from an enlarged prostate and its safety and efficacy has been established in more than 400 clinical articles and abstracts.
For more information about GreenLight Laser Therapy at Marian, please call 739-3000.